14440: Dorce: Re: 14435: Anonymous Post re: Aristide's popularlity (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 1/14/03 6:19:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, Anonymous writes:

<< http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinion/search/sfl-29forum13jan13.story
 Diverse interests must work together
 By Ira Lowenthal  and Clotilde Charlot  >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>...Now Haitians once again
appear ready to unite in the higher interests of the nation, placing their
faith not in one leader but in the democratic process itself.

The declaration is nothing short of revolutionary when seen against the
backdrop of Haiti's strife-torn history and current crisis. It commits its
diverse signatories to work together toward the elaboration of a new,
consensus-based "social contract" for Haiti; one which aims to improve the
lot of all Haitians, but prioritizes the needs of the nation's poor
majority.

Such calls for a social contract for Haiti are nothing new, but the notion
that such a project is best pursued on the basis of unity and consensus, as
opposed to one of discord and competition, is a relatively fresh and
important one.<<
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Sounds GREAT so far, doesn't it!  Wait, I've got the bomb for you next...
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>What's going on in Haiti today -- and what's at stake -- is too important to
be left to the political class alone. Haitian civil society is preparing
itself to rise to the challenge to consolidate the kind of change that has
until now proved to be an elusive hope for Haiti; irreversible democratic
reform.<<
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Let me translate:  What's going on today is too important to be left to the
lumpen proletariat (I don't know why...but this is a favorite phrase of those
contemptuous of Aristide and the people).  Haiti's superior classes are
preparing themselves to all of a sudden declare that it is THEY who are the
saviors of the country and will bring Haiti into the light and beauty of true
democracy!  Now, after years of holding Haiti back for their personal gain
and doing everything in their power to destroy the people's choice, NOW they
want to embrace democracy and unity.....except please don't let the poor
people stand too close.  NOW they tell us they knew all along what was best
for the people and now they exhort the United States of America to get this
guy out so the real leaders can lead.  PERFIDY!

If you want to embrace democracy......embrace it!  Live with the choices made
by the voters.  Try developing actual leadership skills for a change.
Democracy has already started no matter what you want us to believe.  You
want to fool people into thinking Aristide has lost the support of the
people.  You think you will win because you are smarter and stronger.  Not
without the army you won't!  No matter how many people you kill and leave for
others to find, the people know who their enemies are.  They may be
uneducated but they are not stupid.  You never seem to get that.  And now,
they have people who will tell the story...now you have to do the right thing
or be exposed.  It's not going to be easy like 1991.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>>Ira Lowenthal and Clotilde Charlot are members of the Haiti Democracy
Project, an advocacy group based in Washington, D.C., that seeks a more
proactive and effective U.S. policy toward Haiti.<<
Read: the Republican Party.....bastion of racial equality and fairness to all
(as long as you're white and rich)....this group seeks the end to the
people's choice for president TWICE...Let me tell you, I would welcome a more
effective but waaaaay less proactive US policy toward Haiti.....get your nose
out of other countries' business.  THE ENDS DO NOT JUSTIFY THE MEANS!
Everything is not about YOU.  Go hunt terrorists and stop the North Koreans
from bombing Pasadena and leave Haiti alone! (and Venezuela and
Brazil....and......and....)

Kathy Dorce~