14479: Hermantin: Positive outlook (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Sun-Sentinel

Positive outlook
By Alphonse Piard Jr.

January 12, 2003

I am Haitian-born and came to this country in December 1993. I was 33 years
old. I moved to Florida to rejoin my wife whom I had met a few years
earlier. My first impressions of the country were mixed because I was
nourishing a constant anxiety about my life and the future at this turning
point.

I am also a visual artist (painting), and as such I am a deep observer of
human behavior. One of my first impressions was the lack of patience of
people when they have to deal with non-English speakers. Following this
observation, I decided to enroll in an English class called English for
Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).

What surprised me the most was the heterogeneous aspect of the class
population in terms of academic background. I ended up in a classroom where
I became a part of the teacher's teaching strategy. I was in class helping
him with other students who were experiencing difficulties coping with the
sixth level of ESOL. Being an undergraduate in economics from the University
of Geneva, Switzerland, I was ready to fit into the workplace, provided that
I could enhance my communication skills. A year later, strongly encouraged
by this teacher and upon adjustment of my legal status, I started seriously
seeking employment.

This was a new experience as well. I went to interviews and heard nonsense
such as a reference to my accent as a reason to deny me employment. I guess
this is the negative side of this country. I was not the first victim and
will not be the last one. Therefore, I decided to become an adult teacher. I
started working as a substitute, and later, was employed, on a part-time
basis at Notre Dame English School as a pre-ESOL teacher.

Seven years later, I work for Minority Development & Empowerment Inc. as the
director of economic development. This fast-growing Broward County agency
delivers social services to the Caribbean community as a whole.

I have two beautiful daughters and a wonderful wife. My time is shared among
work, my loved ones and my art, which reflects my philosophy of life.

In conclusion, I would like to convey this simple message: There is always a
way to work something out of the darkness. One has to know how to set up
priorities and break main goals into smaller ones. Avoid looking back on
your past (in Haiti or elsewhere). The central point to integration is to
focus on the future.

Despite all the problems this country is facing, the positives of life here
outweigh the negatives. It remains one of the best places in the world to
live.

The occasional "My Story, A New Life" presentation features people from
outside the United States who have established themselves successfully in
South Florida.