14501: Burnham posts re: Du Tuyau's habeas corpus (fwd)

From: thor burnham <thorald_mb@hotmail.com>

>From Thor Burnham in Port-au-Prince:

Monsieur Du Tuyau:

    I did as you said and re-read the articles you suggested. But i must
admit, i found it quite discouraging to read the long list of abuses once
again. But they can't all be true, can they? Although it sure is interesting
to compare those texts and the "peace and love" speeches i hear elsewhere.
That was something that Nicholls talked about in the text I posted here
previously.
     As to your post, I'm not sure i followed your line of questioning, nor
am i sure i understand what your last post was attempting to say. If you are
suggesting that the NCHR and the HaitiDemocracy Project are biased in some
way, I would agree. I think it is impossible to be without bias, although
some people and organizations are more effective than others at minimizing
this. But, does a discrepancy in crowd numbers change the substance of the
allegations?

    You ask, "What is the truth?" Pertaining to what, specifically, Mister
Du Tuyau? The truth about God, for example, or the truth about the people
who control the state?  What is your truth Monsieur Du Tuyau? (By the way,
do you really toss salads for a living? I've been under the assumption since
the beginning of your posts that you don't.)

    Are you stating that the ship can be righted and set back on the correct
course? Are you suggesting that the present captain should stay in power
despite the allegation that he is way off course? Or are you saying that all
he needs is a new crew?
     Sadly, the people who built the boat and picked the captain assumed
they would be the crew that would set out on that hopeful voyage.
Unfortunately, the ship has been boarded, with the permission of the
captain, and the original crew replaced. The original crew has, as a result,
jumped ship, been forced to walk the plank or ended up in the brigg. The
rest have been set adrift in life-boats, desperately rowing, running out of
provisions, but hoping against hope that the ship will come back for them.
Mostly they get picked up by the U.S. Coast Guard.
    So, Mister Du Tuyau, is the ship coming back for them? Will the new crew
let the captain turn around and go back for the people that built the boat
and chose him in the first place? I get the feeling they'll be waiting a
long time.

best,
Thor Burnham