14511: Chamberlain comments on 14505: Pierre Jean: Re: 14480 (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

>  From: Pierre Jean <pierrejean01@yahoo.com>

> Holy cow!

> Himmler Rebu an ACTIVIST? I cannot believe what I am
> reading. Clearly, Michael Deibert did not live in
> Haiti when Rebu was the head of the "Corps des
> Leopards" under Duvalier, one of the best trained and
> most hated part of the Haitian army.

> Maybe Deibert could better balance his reporting by
> interviewing victims of that "elite corps" during the
> Duvalier years. Then readers will get a better sense
> of who Himmler Rebu really is.

Don't kill the messenger !  Whatever Rébu was in the past, these days he
can fairly be described as an "activist", a word that does not imply any
particular virtue.  Let's recognise there aren't going to be many balanced
opinions of someone born with a silly name like that, even if he was a
saint.  To fog matters further, this guy, like many Haitian men, has
written a slim volume of poetry...

Aristide was once an "activist".  That doesn't mean he can't become
something else, as Rébu's pals would be the first to tell us.

        Greg Chamberlain