14527: Chamberlain answers Pina (14475) (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> Pina wrote:

> Since you are so knowledgeable as to the other avenues of distribution
for
> Daniel Morell's photos (note the correct spelling), please so kind as to
> cite them for us. I would like to know where else his photos have been
> purchased and shown for international distribution.

> Fly high not low,

> kp

I am astonished that such an avid media critic as Pina does not know that
Daniel Morel (_not_ "Morell") has been by far the most active and
widely-published Haitian photographer of the past 17 years.

His photos have appeared very frequently in all the major US dailies (and
many more around the world) during that time, either as an Associated Press
photographer in Haiti or on his own freelance basis, as well as in major US
magazines.  He has also sold thousands of photos since 1986 to at least two
of the three US-based weekly papers, especially Haiti Progrès.

How can Pina have missed all this?  Such basic information is easily
available.

An interesting profile of Morel by Corbetteer Patrick Slavin can be found
at:  www.nchr.org/insight/danmorel.htm

Pina also wrote:

> the Z-Net article by Clara James who no one has apparently ever heard of
or read any other piece published by this mystery woman. Several inquiries
later, it is clear it is a "nom de plume" used by yet another "anonymous"
source in yet another virulent anti-Lavalas hit piece. The only thing that
hints at Clara's identity is the credit for the photos that accompany it.
"Da Mo" as the photo credit makes it pretty clear to me from which quarter
it originates.

The supposed "mystery woman" Pina suggests does not exist is identified at
the end of another article she wrote recently:

> Clara James is a freelance writer who worked at a non-governmental human
> rights organization in Haiti during much of the 1990s. She now works in
London.

A simple Google search shows up several of her articles on Haiti.  Perhaps
Pina can tell us how exactly he reached the conspiratorial conclusion that:

        "Several inquiries later, it is clear it is a 'nom de plume' used
by yet another 'anonymous' source"

                Greg Chamberlain