14556: O'Brien--Re: visas, etc. (fwd)

From: Martha O'Brien <mmcpeob@earthlink.net>

On a recent (6-14 Jan.) trip to Haiti, there was absolutely no difference
in the procedure at the airport and no charge for a visa.  In fact, the man
who checked my passport was unusually friendly and "chatty"--a pleasant
welcome to the country.

Is it safe?  Well, we had no problems whatsoever; however, in two different
instances people thanked us for "risking our lives" to come to see them.
Another friend said that even though it seems calm out in the countryside
that it is a powder keg just waiting to blow.  However, as I said, we had
no problems--we had almost cancelled our trip, and we are all very glad
that we decided to go ahead with it.

Good luck--

Martha O'Brien