14593: Pina:

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

Haiti's Large Businesses Shutter Doors as the Poor Markets Remain Open

By Kevin Pina

January 24, 2003

Port au Prince- A general strike called in Haiti today by 184 "civil
society" organizations quickly began to resemble a strike called by the
Democratic Convergence last December 4, 2002. Businesses that largely
cater
to Haiti^s small upper and middle classes remained shuttered today while
the
majority of small marketplace women, known as ti machann, were clearly
open
and doing a brisk business.

Although not officially behind today^s general strike, the Washington
backed
Democratic Convergence continued calling for Aristide^s resignation while
demanding Haitians respect the strike in support of the new "civil
society"
group claiming to represent "all sectors of Haitian society." While
tacitly
accepting support from the Convergence, the "civil society" organizations
insisted it was not their goal to force Aristide^s resignation. This
appeared at odds with their simultaneous claims that the government no
longer enjoys credibility with a majority of the Haitian people. As one
Lavalas insider summed it up, "They are supporting the premises of the
Convergence [about Aristide and Lavalas] while saving the option of
dramatically calling for his resignation at a later date. They think this
will give them greater credibility and effectively isolate middle-class
support away from Lavalas. They are talking out of both sides of their
mouths."

Most banks, gas stations, supermarkets and specialty shops kept their
doors
closed today which stood in stark contrast to the bustling activity in the
marketplaces of the poor. "Only those who have money and can afford to
stay
closed are behind this strike," stated one woman as she paused from
bickering with a customer over the price of carrots.  Other small
merchants
defiantly held their hands open with five fingers extended to symbolize
their support for President Aristide completing his five-year term in
office.  A Lavalas coordinator commented on the strike, "If the organizers
of this strike represent civil society then how do we describe the
majority
of the poor who do not support this strike? Don^t we count as civil
society
as well or are we still to accept them looking down upon the poor majority
as lessor citizens? Are we to accept their statements that they are
smarter
and know what is best for Haiti? They should know we no longer accept that
mentality here in Haiti and if they want to determine the future then they
should participate in elections and win the right to do so. There is no
other way."

Several small pickup trucks, known as tap-taps and the backbone of
transportation for the poor, could be seen disgorging their human cargo
after running out of gas.  One tap-tap driver angrily denounced gas
station
owners for participating in the strike, "You see we are here to work,
people
want to get about their business but I cannot get gas today because the
gas
stations are closed." Suddenly a second truck pulled up behind his tap-tap
and offered to sell him 5 gallons of gas at cost. "You see that?" asked
the
driver excitedly. He continued, "That is why this strike won^t work
because
we are all together to keep the country working." The driver then poured
the
precious juice into his vehicle from 5 plastic gallon containers, paid the
second driver, loaded his passengers and continued the journey up the
road.