14605: Senou: A Compromise Solution (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

A Compromise Solution

Most us who have been living outside of Haiti for over
20 years have lost touch with the Haitian reality.
Some of you have your children currently in the
Persian Gulf and you have more things to worry about.
Indeed we were focus for the first two years on the
Haitian crisis but we have a life to live and it is
not healthy to waste time and energy with grown folks
who have nothing to do with their time.
I strongly believe the Haitian crisis should have been
settled long time ago and now we should have been
focusing on celebrating the bicentennial of Haiti.
What went wrong?
I’m working currently on a small project on Cacos
movement during the US occupation, I did not have a
chance to learn about the role these great Haitians
Hero had played during the Occupation back home. The
Cacos were predominantly from the north but the
peasant of Marche à Terre who were not involved in the
Caco movement had paid a serious price just for
dressing in their usual attire. The American Marines
were confused, opened fire and many peaceful peasants
were killed.
Today, we see the same type of phenomenon taking place
in Haiti: Confusion

The strike yesterday was a success and some people are
going to misread what had taken place yesterday and
may want to use it for their own advantage. The
success of the strike is not equated to a overwhelming
support to the Convergence camp but it was a wake up
call to the current regime to reverse its course;
otherwise the situation can be worsen. Every single
element was present to have a successful strike
nationwide. The Assassination of the three brothers at
Carrefour, the killing of a third year medical
student, the sudden rise of the gas, the teachers and
the students as well as various sectors of the labor
movement. Now what is the next step?

Resolution 822 had called for an early election, which
is almost impossible since a key member is not
interested in any election.  As a democrat, I believe
election is the only way to change a government but in
the case of Haiti, I strongly believe more need to be
done before calling any election.
The nation is bleeding and it has been on life support
status for quite some time, we have a moral obligation
to bring the country to stability first.
In order to bring the country to stability, each
sector shall do some sacrifices. Lavalas, the
Convergence, the Opposition and the vital sectors of
the Haitian society need to return to the negotiation
table and find a compromise that the people of Haiti
can live with not the international community. I
repeat a compromise solution for those who are going
to live it. Some of you are playing a dangerous game
that can lead the country to a bloody civil war, if
this take place in the land of Toussaint Louverture,
all of you will be arrested without exception anywhere
in the world.  Remember these words: all of you
without exception.
Remember you are from Haiti, many former military
official thought they could have escaped Haitian
justice by just leaving the country after committed
mass murder, they return one by one and INS is about
to send another one to face justice pretty soon. He
had won the lotto, he got millions to pay lawyers  but
when you spilled the blood of innocent, you have
nowhere to hide. Most of knew when Dr Roger Lafontant
went back to Haiti, he went back to pay for his
crimes.

Welcome to the Haitian reality. Since November, no one
has really met on the Haitian issue. The economic
assistance has been withheld and you are all
responsible for it. Since we know that election is not
possible at this particular moment and Resolution 822
is taboo, it is necessary to look for an alternative.

The Lavalas must share power with the civil society,
the vital sector of the country and of course with the
Convergence.  Put in place a coalition government: The
prime minister must come from a different party and
each sector shall have at least one member in the new
government. Commander Raoul Guillaume or Ramis St Vil
a Ouanaminthe native shall be in Charge of the Police
National, these two folks have the ability to clean up
the mess and remove politic from that corp.
This new coalition government shall have the mandate
to put structure in place, bring stability to the
country, reduce the insecurity phenomenon, create jobs
and later on organize a free and fair election after
the bicentennial ceremony.
We must put an end to this eternal negotiation and
this cannot be done with name calling or accusing each
other. I invite all of you to return to the
negotiation table and find a compromise solution that
shall include a share of power.

Joseph Alfred
P.O. BOX 334
Smyrna, GA 30081