14621: Corbett: A gift to all: Full text of rare book on Toussaint Louverture -- earliest known English-language history of Toussaint.

>From Bob Corbett

Folks, I just finished up 5 days of scanning and proof-reading and html
marking up to present you with a very rare book on Toussaint Louverture,
a book that is a very strong clelbration of the Toussaint and a defense of
him against critics.

I purchased this book a couple of years ago.  It was printed in 1814, but
in the introduction the author,  MD Stephens, indicates this is the exact
text he first published in 1803 -- just one year after Toussaint's death.
I have never found any record of the 1803 edition.

The text is 93 pages long.  I recently uncovered the book in my rare books
collection and decided this would be a good time to scan and present the
book to you in Toussaint's honor, 101 years after his death and 99 years
after
the founding of Haiti.

The text may be found at:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/revolution/toussaint-stephens.htm

I have worked hard to correct every error from the scanning.  It is a very
old text
and didn't scan too well.  Plus, Stephen's had a love of using italics,
which
did n't scan.  I have tired to get the text right and to get every italics
in place.

I would ask that if in reading this text y ou find any errors, please let
me know and I will correct them.

Enjoy,

Bob Corbett