14646: Lody: PETITION TO END THE THREATS AGAINST LEARNING (fwd)

From: "[iso-8859-1] lody auguste" <auguste_lody@yahoo.com>

Hello,
We are a group of young people running a cyber-club/
cyber-café from the town of Gros Morne in the North
West of Haiti. Our club is supported by the whole Gros
Morne community and by donations from friends all over
Haiti and abroad. Our club has already more than 300
members who use the internet every day. School
children pay only 5 gourdes ($ 0.125) per hour on the
internet. All other users pay 15 gourdes ($ 0.375) for
an hour. All of this is possible because of the wide
support we get.

Our club and its supporters are now victims of serious
threats from people who claim to be close to local
officials.

The cause of these threats is apparently that our
club, with its internet services, makes it possible
for news of all that goes on here to get out very
quickly.

In the face of those threats, we, school children and
adults who are members of the cyber club, ask you to
help us by signing the attached petition which says NO
TO VIOLENCE and no to aggressions that are being
planned against the club and against the people who
supervise it, like professor GASTON JEAN.
All of those who want to sign can copy the attached
text, add their name, and send it to the following
addresses:

lujacasi@hotmail.com

sevonet@hotmail.com
For the club:
Luliane Jeanne Casimir

PETITION TO END THE THREATS AGAINST LEARNING

We will fight to continue to be able to say no to all
the violence being perpetrated in Gros Morne.
We are witness to intimidation and threats being made
against several institutions in Gros Morne, in
particular against the Local Court of Justice, Radio
Horizon, and the Cyber Club. As members of that club,
we who are using the Internet every day, who are
learning to use computers, who are using the
photocopying services of the club, we raise our voices
to say no to all such violence.
The Cyber Club is the only space in our town where
school children, school teachers, university students,
professors, and anybody else can do research, do their
homework, use the internet for only 5 gourdes an hour.

We ask:
1) That violence against individuals and institutions
stop now in Gros Morne and throughout the country.
2) That the people who are perpetrating those acts of
violence let the community benefit from all services
offered by Radio Horizon and the Cyber Club.
Gros Morne belongs to us all, even to those who are
behaving in a destructive manner. Gros Morne is our
town, we must protect it and fight for its
development.

Names of those who wish to sign the petition:
(215 signatures from Gros Morne)
1. Abelard Cadémil
2. Adolphe Rociny
3. Agélus Smick