14675: Thompson: Lead Poisoning in Haitian Children (fwd)

From: Annette Thompson <ethiopiaprogram2@yahoo.com>
Dear List Members,

I'd like to correspond with others who know of
research and prevention studies on lead poisoning in
Haitian children. My organization operates 2 large
orphanages and an international adoption program in
Port-au-Prince and many of the children who have
arrived in America, have shown very high led levels.

We only use bottled water at our orphanages and there
is no lead paint, so I'm guessing that the children
have been exposed to the lead in public water supplies
before they came to us. Many children come from the
slums of Cite Soleil.

I'd like to find out what research has been done on
led exposure and lead poisoning prevalence in
Port-au-Prince. I'd also like to see if cooking pots
containing led may be a source and find a lab in town
that is experienced with led testing. Thanks.

Annette Thompons, Director
Precious in HIS Sight
http://precious.org/haiti
annette@precious.org