14687: Benjamin: Re: 14675: Thompson: Lead Poisoning in Haitian Children (fwd)

From: danielle benjamin <dfbee@comcast.net>

Dear Annette,
Almost one million children in the US from lead poisoning, most of
them African American (maybe Haitian/Caribbean) and of Mexican
origin.
I don't know of any studies done in Port-au-Prince, (You might want to
contact the Association de Pediatres in Haiti).  However, CDC has done
extensive studies in Mexico and they revealed that Tamarin candy and
the terra cotta jugs (Canari in Haiti) were also suspected sources.
The information is available on their website.

In Haiti, I assume that in  addition to the lead pots as you
knowledgeably pointed out, other sources may be rodents, soil polluted
with gasoline waste, old batteries, oil drums recycled as water
vessels and many other environmental factors, poverty being the
overarching and most relevant one.

It may be worthwhile for you to discuss with UNICEF and other donors
who support children's programs in Haiti to sponsor a rapid assessment
and a KAP (Knowledge/Attitudes and Practices) for Cite Soleil.   At
least you would have a baseline to start from to provide empirical
data so that you can do something about it.  That is necessary of
course, should that be the route you must follow administratively.

Lead poisoning is the same in Harlem or Baltimore children as it is
for Jamaican children or all poor children regardless of national
origin or race.

The problem can be attacked and prevention measures could begin
without having to wait for "studies".  In my experience, often the
funds spent on "studies" were enough for the miracles of education and
prevention measures.  Many other times, we paid consultants to do
studies which in the end decorated our beautiful offices, because we
could not fund nor implement the recommendations!

I would like to continue discussing with you, more importantly to see
if I can do anything to help.  I will contact the Haitian American
pediatricians here to obtain relevant data and guidance to forward to
you.  Please let me know if I can help in any other appropriate
manner.

Hope this information will be useful.

Are you also taking care of AIDS Orphans?

Thank you for bringing hope to children in Haiti.
Bon courage
Danielle Benjamin
Maryland USA