14685: Burnham replies to Edouard re: naming names (fwd)

From: thor burnham <thorald_mb@hotmail.com>

>From Thor Burnham, aka Kinalaganash, in one of the jalousies:

Felix Edouard states:
"If the group decides to have a discussion on who owns and controls what in
Haiti. So be it. However I'm afraid your last question "Which families
financed the 1991 coup d'etat?" will simply lead to accusation and slander
without any facts. If someone has some evidence (which obviously has not
been made public)please share. Otherwise, please let's not start on rumors
and hearsay."

Burnham replies:

Mr. Edouard, I whole-heartedly agree. My challenge to name names is to
hopefully avoid such a debate, and to focus instead on the specific actors
involved, while avoiding a descent into colour politics. Based on what I
have read here, and elsewhere, ruling oligarchy seems to be code for a
colour analysis of the class structure. I'm hoping that perhaps we could use
Fatton's suggestion (Corbett has reviewed his work here on the list) and
talk about the "possessing class", since my own experience, admittedly
limited and faulty, shows this to be a better description of those who
possess material goods and wealth, rather than one that emphasizes colour.

And, since i asked the questions i'll throw in my two bits. Today i had
lunch with a well known intellectual. I asked the person about the idea of a
Haitian ruling oligarchy. Their analysis was, and i'm paraphrasiing:

1) That under Papa Doc, the so-called "oligarchy" did not have the power.
Duvalier was boss. period. The "ruling families" did not control things.
Perhaps they reached accomodation, but this was most often tenuous.

2) Under Baby Doc, it was similar, but a more collegial arrangment with the
major families was maintained.

3) Should one want to know who makes up the "ruling oligarchy" at the
present, if it can be properly called such, one would do well to look at the
shareholders of the 5-6 largest banks. That would give a pretty good
indication of who rests at the top of the financial hierarchy in Haiti.

Maybe we can go from here? Maybe not.

best,
thor burnham