14745: Dorce: Re: 14685: Burnham replies to Edouard re: naming names (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

<<  Based on what I
 have read here, and elsewhere, ruling oligarchy seems to be code for a
 colour analysis of the class structure. I'm hoping that perhaps we could use
 Fatton's suggestion (Corbett has reviewed his work here on the list) and
 talk about the "possessing class", since my own experience, admittedly
 limited and faulty, shows this to be a better description of those who
 possess material goods and wealth, rather than one that emphasizes colour. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This always happens when anyone wants to criticize the oligarchy in Haiti.
Let's try to understand it's not about color and it's not about money
although most of the people who make up the MREs are rich and most are light
skinned.  There are many rich, semi rich and middle class people who are not
so light skinned and yet they may have a hatred of the underprivileged
classes as well even though there is little difference in skin color between
them.  Also some rich people in Haiti may be socially responsible, if they
still live and breathe; the life span of a wealthy populist is not
encouraging.  There are the ruling families of Haiti who seem to exploit the
poor and make fortunes off their misery but there are countless others who
may not be as wealthy who support the system of patronage.  They are equally
culpable.  I believe it is not fair to accuse anyone with money or light skin
of being an MRE.  I'd rather say it depends on behavior.  If a person of any
color or economic status treats others like dirt, disregards their value as a
human being and views themselves as superior, they get to wear the epithet of
Morally Repugnant Elite.  It's about character, not color or money.  But you
can't blame people for thinking it is about having money and having light
skin.  So many of the well to do and the "wannabe French so bad" should be
ashamed of themselves but they lack the character to even feel shame!

Kathy Dorce~