14810: John Corbett on Dusty Rhodes

From: John Corbett <corbettj@swbell.net>

On Dusty Rhodes,

    Dusty lived over my office and since has moved back to someplace in
Indiana to take care of his mother last spring and I haven't heard from him
since. He did say he was coming back to the neighborhood someday . It is
hard to say whether Dusty was legitimate or not. His story seemed to check
out and he had many of them but there was some doubt in many people's minds
of his authenticity. I looked up the 1954 World Series on the Major League
home page and it had his picture but it was so long ago that I couldn't
really tell if it was him or not. Bill Miller of the DHS had a baseball card
of Dusty Rhodes and the height it gave for Dusty was six foot but I know our
Dusty was about 5'9" so it leads to further doubt. Who knows if he was for
real or not, I still enjoyed hearing his stories about Ebbits field! He said
he was the last batter at the old Ebbits field and when asked if he hit a
homer, he said no-just a slow hopper to short!  He said Warren Spahn threw
him a curve ball and he didn't have a curve ball! He was fun, whoever he
was!

John Corbett