14810: Paulino: Seeking information on the Dominican-Haitian Border (fwd)

From: edward paulino <guacherno@yahoo.com>

[Folks, Mr. Paulino is not a list member.  However, the topic he asks
about is of interest to many.  If you have comments or replies, please be
sure to send them to Mr. Paulino at his address above, but also to me
to post to the general list.  Thanks,  Bob]

  Mr. Bob Corbett:

  Thank you for taking my call this evening. I am
writing a book on the Dominican-Haitian border with a
particular emphasis on the 1937 Haitian Massacre.  I
would greatly appreciate it if you could share with
your discussion list my project.  Although I am
familiar with some of the literature particularly the
Dominican side, I am looking for any written or
non-written sources that address the border from the
Haitian perspective.  I am particularly looking for
official and/or unofficial photographs or
illustrations of the border.

Second and equally as important, I am also looking for
any official and/or personal correspondence concerning
the 1937 genodical Massacre of Haitians in the
Dominican borderlands.  Any source is a good source:
from Haitian government photographs and documents
within the government and between other governments
(particularly France and the perhaps the Vatican?) to
individuals who might still be alive.

I have interviewed several Haitian survivors but I
believe that, although many have died, there are still
some who are alive and are coherent.  My goal, as a
historian, is to incorporate this massacre into the
contemporary discourse of genocide and to educate
young generations of people (particularly Dominicans)
to remember this crime against humanity.

If you have any information on this subject please
e-mail me at: guacherno@yahoo.com

I thank you again for your help and I hope to hear
from you soon.

Respectfully,

Edward Paulino, Ph.D.
Department of History