14832: Karshan: Letter published in The Catholic Virginian (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Letter published in the Feb. 3, 2003

The Catholic Virginian

"Haitian Democracy"

Dear Catholic Virginian,

I am writing in response to the recent article (1/20/03) titled "Church
report says disappearances, vigilantism on the rise in Haiti".  I recently
returned from a ten-day outreach retreat to Haiti.  During those ten days I
traveled extensively throughout Port-au-Prince and the Central Plateau in the
rural countryside.

I encountered a poverty that attempts to tear down and destroy the dignity of
the vast majority of the people of Haiti.  Haiti ranks 147 out of 147
countries surveyed for potable water; the minimum wage is $2.40 PER DAY if
you are lucky enough to have a job. Yet, despite this poverty, I met a
gracious, faith-filled people who redefined for me the meaning of
hospitality. Throughout my ten days of moving around the country I did not
see any violence or feel the threat of any violence.  In fact, we heard of
several peaceful demonstrations while we were there protesting the dramatic
increase in the price of gasoline due to the Venezuelan oil crisis.

I also witnessed widespread support throughout the country for President
Aristide.  Everywhere we traveled there were signs and banners and graffiti
declaring support for Aristide.  Also, in my informal surveys of the people I
encountered,  Aristide and his Lavalas party were supported by at least
two-thirds. Yet, the real issue is not Aristide's ability to govern - the
real, unspoken issue in Haiti is Democracy itself.

In all of Haiti's nearly 200 year history as a free Black Republic (the
Bi-centennial to be celebrated January 2004) every transition of power has
been accomplished by some form of military coup - EXCEPT those that have
involved President Aristide (1990, 1995, and 2000).

In 1990 President Aristide was freely elected with no violence and in line
with the Constitution. He received over 67% of the vote. At the end of 5
years, in 1995, a peaceful transfer of power took place when Renee Preval was
elected. In the year 2000 President Aristide chose to run again and won the
election again with overwhelming support of the people. Both elections were
observed and approved by the international community.

I am sure that serious crimes and murder occur in Haiti under President
Aristide's watch, and I am sure his abilities to govern have room for
improvement.  The same is true of any leader in the world.  Need I list
snipers, abductions, anthrax, voting irregularities - the difference in
America is that our people and our leaders share a common history and a
common future in the support of our constitution and our rights. We tend to
affirm these precious values during times of strife, but the Haitian Bishops
seem to have great capacity to completely overlook the biggest issue and
value at risk in Haiti - Democracy.

I am left with only questions when I read an article, like the one I am
responding to, based on a report from the Haitian Bishops. Why do the Haitian
Bishops speak out so frequently against Aristide and call for him to step
down prematurely (in other recent press articles)? And why were the Haitian
Bishops so quiet during the well-documented terror and brutality of Papa Doc
and Baby Doc Duvalier? I can only wonder if it has something to do with the
fact that the majority of the Haitian Bishops come from the wealthy elite
class of Haiti? I can only wonder if any of these Bishops had anything to do
with or supported getting Aristide thrown out of the priesthood for preaching
liberation and economic justice to the people? Could they possibly have an
agenda different from supporting the young and tenuous Democracy established
in the late 1980's?    Is there a preferential option for the nearly 70% of
the mostly poor that voted for Aristide?  Are the Bishops for Democracy? It
would be interesting for the Catholic News Service to investigate these and
other hard-hitting questions.

Anyone has the right to agree or disagree with Aristide's policies and
governance.  But if you disagree, the process must be within the framework of
Democracy. Let another candidate or another party convince the majority of
Haitian citizens that they have a better platform and get elected in the 2005
elections.  The people of Haiti do not need another coup and another tyrant
that works only to make the wealthy one or two percent of the population even
wealthier.  I give the Haitian Bishops the benefit of the doubt and believe
they may be well-intentioned in pointing out isolated human rights issues.
However, I urge the Bishops and the CNS to speak out just as adamantly about
the positive direction and improvements made during the last 10 years of
Democratic Rule (despite embargoes and serious limited resources). I believe
the Haitian Bishops, and the U.S. government for that matter, should be doing
everything in their power to nurture this fledgling Democracy and align
themselves with the poor majority of the people.

It is incomprehensible to me that a country so close to our borders can be in
so much misery, and the hierarchy of the Haitian church and the hierarchy of
our government can be so out of touch. I pray for the Haitian Bishops, I pray
for the Haitian people, and I pray for Haitian Democracy.

Scott Rohr/ Montpelier, Va