14925: Antoine: Kanaval Boycott (fwd)

From: Pascal Antoine <pascal.antoine@verizon.net>

I'm leaving for Haiti on Thursday morning to report on the Port-Au-Prince carnival for the HatiXxchange web site. Some friends of mine, who have recntly come back from Jacmel, have told me that the private sector is aggressively boycotting carnival this year. Has anyone heard this? I have heard that even some of the more popular bands do not have floats and refuse to participate this year.

Over the years, one thing I have noticed is that whatever mayhem Haiti might be going through, things usually simmer down for carnival. Is this year different? Please shed some light since I'm trying to figure out what I might be getting myself into (even though I plan on enjoying myself regardless!)

Thanks

Pascal Antoine
HaitiXchange
http://www.haitixchange.com