14971: Jay: Little Haiti

From: Jepiem@aol.com

Little Haiti is North of Downtown Miami, starting at about 54th street on
the
south to about 79th street on the North. It extends eastwise to about
north 4th
or fifth avenue and westwise to about northwest 4th of 5th avenue. It had
a so
called Caribbean market, an attempt at replicating the iron market on
boulevard
Jean Jacques Dessalines in Port au Prince but the building is now sitting
idle
and only inhabited by the pigeons. The well known Libreri Mapou is next to
it
and that would be a place to start. You might want to contact them and get
suggestions from them. If you really want to go to a Haitian market you
should
go to the Hialeiah flee market on a saturday morning. There you see
haitian
marchandes selling everything from haitian soap to five star rhum and much
else
in between, but that's not just a haitian market. You will also see cuban
and
nicaraguan and other caribbean merchants selling everything under the sun,
even
though I haven't seen an old car dealership there yet. It's still quite an
interesting place. Now I am not sure why you want to go to Little Haiti,
but
there is a lot more to haitian culture than just Little Haiti. If I were
in
your shoes I would want that son of mine to know ALL aspects of haitian
culture.

Math Jay.