14983: guygiard: Us influence in Haiti (fwd)

From: guygiard@iquebec.com

Hello,

I went to a lecture given by 2 prominent haitien
researchers in Montreal, and the subject was the
economics of Haiti. They both agreed that the present
situation is quite disastreous, and that there is no
sign of it getting better. They also mentioned the
new Zone Franche (Free zone) that are to be built
between on the border with République Dominicaine,
over what is left of the most fertile agricultural
grounds left on the island!!!

They also agreed that the political powers were not
working towards a better sewage and general health
system, but quite the contrary, and felt there was no
cohesive governement in place with long terms plans
and goals.

My feeling is that there is no governement for the
people in place, but that over the years there has
been a constant and well planned developement of
Haiti as a ressources for the few very rich families
and their International partners. I feel they are
squeesing all that they can of Haiti while making
sure that the people remain docile through violence
and poor social system,  having to fight for their
simple survival.

One of the speakers stated that for himself it was
over for Haiti (Haiti c'est fini!) and while there
was some talk of trying to create a better
government, I found that the issue of the rich
families and the international companies was not
looked at as an important factor. I was surprised by
this, I wonder if there is a kind of blind spot /
honor to not talk about these powerful forces? That
they would prefer to blame an ineffectual government
in the hope of creating a better one, instead of
looking into forces that could be bigger than any
government that could be created?

What do members think of this?
Is there a blindspot towards these out of office
forces?
I wonder how many people believe that it is still
possible to create a government for the people?
and those who believe it is not possible because the
government aren't the ones holding the power?

If anyone also has information about the
relationships between the Zone Franche/Free zones
that are about to be built and the few rich
industries in Haiti I would appreciate the
information

Thanks

Guy Giard