14994: Saint-Vil Re: 14990: Allouard: Issue Papers: Education and Adult Literacy (fwd)

From: Jean Saint-Vil <jafrikayiti@hotmail.com>

This is an important insight you provide here Phillipe Allouard. I share
most of observations and having spent a few months as volunteer teacher in
one of these makeshift schools, I can testify that these children are not
learning much. I honestly believe that my class learned more on this single
afternoon when I finally decided to take them to the MuPaNaH than they had
learned during a whole year.

You wrote "Definitly, NOW, things being as they are, having 100% of
the children at school would help but a little: the only good point I see,
...would be that it would indicate disparition of
restavek phaenomenon..."

I am not so sure about that conclusion. Because the church school where I
was teaching was attended mostly by kids leaving in servitude. The lucky
ones who are sent to "lekòl di swa". Unfortunately, such "schools" operate
according to the whim of the priest who happens to be in charge of the
church at the time. While I was there, the priest was a brave man who
understood the necessity to give these abused kids a rare chance to play as
well as learn. So, every afternoon, before we sang the national anthem
loudly and with pride  (in Kreyòl) and begun the formal class, the priest
encouraged my habit of playing soccer with the kids in the church yard.

But, a new priest arrived and I had to live Haiti so these kids are probably
back to repeating these non-sensical phrases in the books they carry so
proudly and innocently every afternoon to the church. Some of them will no
doubt achieve their dreams of mental and economic freedom, but I doubt the
school will have been a positive factor in all this, unless some radical
change occured there since I left.

You wrote: "Now, if someone have a solution, I would be glad to hear it and
to help!"

How about Haitians rejecting the distractions of all these false crises
brought to them courtesy of our friends of the "international community" and
start spending most our energies on real challenges.

i.e. Forget about never-ending elections - we play this game only once every
5 years. Sa k pa kontan anbake!

Focus on real priorities: building real schools. Repatriating the million
Haitian brains serving other societies all over the globe. Building a real
health infrastructure. Get back to business as we once did for a few short
months in 1991.

To do all these Philippe, our President, whoever he may be, at any given
time, will have to have the courage to look the jokers of the OAS, Vatican,
France, Canada, USA etc... to keep their $4000, their $50,000 and even their
millions and leave us alone. So Haitians can begin to breath and spend our
energies and ressources where they can make a difference - not at Hotel
Montana drinking Barbancour with Luigi Enaudi and company.

It's absurd to believe a few makeshift schools built here by NGO X and a few
others built there by gift of government Y will yield anything other than
"Structurally adjusted Poverty".

I have said it before, I'll say it again. The only way Haiti, and the myriad
of other empovrished black nations will come out of this cleverly designed
poverty in which they find themselves is if, they finally decide to take
bold independent moves such as:

1) Deciding on their own to cancel their up-side-down debts to the oppresive
neo-colonial states and their agencies (IMF, World Bank etc...) - January 1,
2004 seems to be perfect timing to me

2) Join the global reparations struggle

Those who believe the status quo is better, please explain to me how it has
benefitted us so far?
----------

I hope this is kosher enough for publication Bob. It's unfortunate, no one
is commenting on the outrageous Actualite article since you must have
considered my last message to be out of line. But, I do respect that this is
your territory. You make the rules and I follow or else. I was just hoping
someone with the correct language skills would address the issue because it
is important.

Regards,
Jafrikayiti
"Power never conceedes anything without a demand. It never has and never
will" brother Frederick Douglass

«Depi nan Ginen bon nèg ap ede nèg!»
http://www.i-port.net/sd-in-j/