15013: Simidor Re:14974: Tou dwat: Re: NY Review ofBooks on Haiti (fwd)

From: Daniel Simidor <karioka9@mail.arczip.com>

On 3 Mar 2003, tou dwat <tou_dwat@hotmail.com wrote:

<<Yes, hunger and deprivation of dignity will make all limits
vanish... no excuse
but understanable... As for the attitude of Mr Dailey..I don't
understand, so
what the excuse ? Could someone provide a bit of info on the
motivation of the
author ?>>

Contrary to the author of the lines above, I don't need to know if
a journalist votes Republican or Democrat, to decide if the story
I've just read is credible or not.  By the way, if the
storyteller's resume is so important, then what does that say
about "tou dwat," who speaks with such authority behind the
anonymity of his Hotmail account? ("In 2000, my office was in
Dessalines ... I never met Mr Dailey in that area," etc.)

As with all newspapers, one usually gets a byline and the
reputation of the paper in question. The latter category being
mostly what I consider before spending my dime.  Generally, "tou
dwat," the truth is in the pudding.  A good mix of logic, common
sense and familiarity with the subject at hand usually suffices to
pass judgement on the veracity of the story. Peter Dailey wrote a
very credible and well-told story.  The kind of stuff one expects
from the NY Review of Books, which is not generally prone to
propaganda.  Not of the obvious kind anyway.  I, for one, can't
wait for part two to be published.

Daniel Simidor