15024: Vishnusurf: RE: 14998: Haiti Reborn: Let Haiti Live events in Bay Area, CA (fwd)

From: VISHNUSURF@aol.com

please don't get me wrong... i love haiti, have put my life on the line for
haiti, and would love to see the foreign aid flowing once again...

BUT
to call the suspension of foreign aid an "embrago" is a dangerous
exaggeration.
AND
to assume that foreign aid would make much of a difference is somewhat
ignorant... don't we often hear, during times when the aid is flowing, that
it is merely an investment in US neocolonialism?  would THAT satisfy Ms.
Dutton?
hasn't it been shown in numerous studies that the lion's share of foreign aid
acutally returns to the countries that send it.  if a "chef du projet" from
nebraska makes $100,000 US to run a development program in Haiti for some DC
Beltway parasitic NGO, and they buy him a new Ford Explorer for $50K, pay for
his kids to go to union school, pay his rent in Musseau at $4K a month; not
to mention pay his chauffeur (OK, admittedly little) and his 24 hr a day
security guards at his house; pay for him (or her) to fly to DC a few times a
year to report to the mother ship...  does a million dollars in "foreignb
aid" really go very far to help the "thousands" of haitians who are dying
because it is not being "spent on haiti"?

for these reasons and others that i am too tired to articulate, i find Ms.
Dutton's post very sensationalistic, simplistic, and quite frankly ignorant,
no offense intended, as i am sure her intentions are admirable... i am just
jotting down some perspective from experience...

this is another case of "se pa fot mwen" here, writ large. one of the worst
broken records in haitian history...  this is getting really old and is quite
counterproductive to change in haiti.

blaming the USA so categorically for haiti's ills is pathetically simplistic.
US policiy must share the blame, admittedly... but what of the will of hait
i's leadership?

seems to me this equation is more to blame than anything by now:

"se pa fot mwne,
alo, kite'm fe pa'm
le'm kapab"