15120: Schweissing: Nassau Guardian on Bahamian Immigration (fwd)

From: Daniel Schweissing <dan_schweissing@hotmail.com>

Immigration denies Haitians illegals doubled over year

By KHASHAN POITIER

Guardian Staff Reporter

A claim that 60,000 Haitians live illegally in The Bahamas is "crazy,"
according Immigration Department director Vernon Burrows.

An article distributed by the Associated Press wire says "Some 60,000
Haitians live illegally on the chain of islands, taking up one-third of
classroom seats and seven of 10 beds in maternity wards."

Providing no source for its claims, the article said, "the number of illegal
Haitian migrants landing in The Bahamas has nearly doubled in two years..."

"I don't know where they got that information from. I can't confirm that.
That information is far from (the truth)," Mr. Burrows said Tuesday.

Mr. Burrows said a record 7,000 Haitian immigrants were deported last year
so it is impossible for the number of illegal Haitian migrants in the
country to have doubled last year.

The department expects the numbers to further decrease with the
implementation of a hotline that allows the public to report illegal
immigrants.

The Rapid Response Unit, which will include trained immigration officers,
who will work with the Royal Bahamas Defence Forceis linked to the hotline.

Though the Department received several tips since the hotline was
established, Mr. Burrows said many people use it for personal vendettas.

Last month, 114 Haitians and 11 Jamaicans were deported, costing taxpayers
$20,000.

That seizure was due to a joint effort by the RBDF and United States Coast
Guard,which has joined The Bahamas Government in the fight against illegal
migrants and drug trafficking.

U.S. Coast Guard member Bryon Seale said: "We are here to help The Bahamas
in detecting these crimes and being their eyes where they cannot be, that is
in the air. So while the Royal Defence Force watches over the waters, we do
what we can by air."

Posted Wed March 12, 2003