15131: Vishnusurf: Re: 15115: Haitian Times: Request for censorship rejected by Corbett (fwd) Corbett replies

From: VISHNUSURF@aol.com

Clearly the Corbett list itself is censored.  I have lost count of the number
of posts I have had returned to me because the gate keeper himself, ususally
quite arbitrarily, considers them "personal attacks". What kind of agenda
does Dr. Corbett harbour such that he deems himself the moral arbitor of
dialogue.  Meanwhile, countless posts that are clearly personal attacks have
been posted. Countless posts with false information that does damage to
people's reputations. And is it not a strange kind of censorship that a list
discussing Haiti only allows posts in English?  Many people slip some French
and Creole in their post (not to mention whatever language DuTuyau opines
in)... which raises the question: how much Creole or French will the
gatekeeper allow?  I for one would like to see total freedom expression on
this list.

================

Vishnusurf -- I agree with you -- the list is indeed censored.  I
mentioned three modes (personal attacks, non-Haiti related material,
and the special class).  There are two others I forgot which you remind me
of:  non-English posts and posts that come with attachments.

Just a bit of history.  This is a private list.  I started it in 1994 with
7 people in order to be able to discuss issues related to Haiti and to
have a place to go to ask others about things one needed or wanted to
know.

It has gradually grown to where there are more than 1200 on the main list
and quite a few spin off lists which I have nothing to do with.

But, the list is not a PUBLIC list. It is private and people are most
welcome to be on it, but the list procedures are not subject to public
decision.  Sorry.

Bob