15145: Slavin: On Derek Walcott (fwd)

From: PSlavin@unicefusa.org

In St. Lucia in January, I came across:

"The Haitian Trilogy,"  by Derek Walcott, 434 pgs, FSG, 2002, ISBN:
0-374-52813-6.

It contains three plays: "Henri Christophe, Drums and Colours[sic]," and
"The Haitian Earth." I missed its release, and glad to have it.

Walcott also has several paintings inspired by Haiti -- at an exhibition,
attended by Walcott and his houseguest Arthur Miller, I had a brief chat
with DW about his realist painting of Toussaint prisoned in France -- I was
the young gender to get much of out him,  but clearly in his younger days
DW had a high interest in Haiti, like Orson Welles and Truman Capote.

Patrick
Did you know that buying UNICEF Cards and Gifts helps to save children's
lives? To find out how you can help, please click on the link below.
http://www.unicefusa.org/cards