15224: Ewen: Re: 15201: (Chamberlain) IMF Criticizes Haiti For Poor Economic Policies (fwd)

From: Stephen Ewen <sewe0171@fau.edu>

What an ironic piece--"IMF Criticizes Haiti for Poor Economic Policies,"
of 3/3/03.

While it is almost common knowledge that international financial aid
regimes have pushed Haiti to accept global economic integration, a recent
article by Anna Willard titled "IMF: no clear proof globalization helps
the poor," which was ran by Reuters on 3/17/02 and carried on the Forbes
Magazine web-site, reported a startling IMF admission that undermines the
fund's own critique of and policies for Haiti made two weeks earlier.

In newly published research the fund admitted that, while theoretical
models show that financial integration can increase economic growth in
developing countries, in practice it is difficult to prove this link.  The
IMF study admitted that "in other words, if financial integration has a
positive effect on growth, there is as yet no clear and robust empirical
proof that the effect is quantitatively significant."  The IMF's chief
economist Kenneth Rogoff, described this conclusion as "sobering."  The
IMF report found that a small group of developing countries have picked up
the "lion's share" of capital flows as financial links between countries
have become more integrated.

It is hard for me not to notice that much of the democracratic movement in
Haiti has suspected these sobering IMF conclusions long ago, and wanted to
perhaps discover a more endogenous development pathway.

Stephen Ewen