15306: (Chamberlain) Haitian Influx (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   By STEVENSON JACOBS

   NASSAU, Bahamas, April 13 (AP) -- The flow of Haitians sneaking into the
Bahamas is turning into a flood that is straining social services and
bringing calls for mass deportations.
   The development also worries U.S. officials, who fear it might be a
forerunner of a new surge of Haitians trying to get into the United States
to escape their nation's dismal economy and political instability.
   Bahamian authorities estimate 60,000 Haitians are living illegally here
among the island chain's 360,000 citizens. The military, which has
increased patrols at sea, says 4,220 Haitians were caught last year -- the
highest number in a decade and nearly 50 percent more than were stopped in
2001.
   Over the years, some Bahamians welcomed the Haitians as a source of
cheap labor, but there is a growing chorus demanding that the government
crack down and send the migrants back home.
   "They use our hospitals, our social system, they clog up our schools and
take away from Bahamians," said Theodore Roberts, a 31-year-old technician.
"They just keep coming and don't give back anything."
   Officials say a third of public-school students are children of Haitian
migrants and seven of 10 maternity patients are Haitian.
   Fearing an exodus like that in the 1990s, when Haitians were fleeing a
murderous military dictatorship, the United States is helping the Bahamas
with increased aid and U.S. Coast Guard patrols.
   "When Haitian immigration picks up in the Bahamas, it picks up in the
United States, too," said a U.S. Embassy spokesman, Brian Bachman.
   Bahamian officials say Washington needs to provide more help.
   "Migration is everybody's business," said Immigration Minister Vincent
Peet. "We don't think the world should allow the Bahamas to deal with this
by itself."
   Most Haitian migrants leave from their country's barren north, paying
smugglers $500 to $5,000 (U.S. currency) for passage to the Bahamas. The
journeys are usually made in rickety homemade boats that sometimes capsize.
It's not known how many have died trying to escape.
   In November, the bodies of four men believed to be Haitian migrants were
found floating in Nassau harbor, near the dock where cruise ship tourists
shop in duty-free stores. Some migrants are abandoned on one of the
Bahamas' more than 700 uninhabited islands, where they stay with no water
or food until someone finds them, dead or alive.
   Those who make it to land undetected endure poverty not that different
from Haiti, squeezed into ramshackle villages without running water or
electricity on the outskirts of Nassau and several small docks.
   In one shantytown, residents said they are in constant fear of police
raids. The poorly dressed Creole speakers are easy to spot in this
relatively wealthy English-speaking country.
   "If the police catch us, they'll rob us," said Raymond Marcellin, 28,
flashing a large gash in his palm, an injury he said he got from a fall
while running from the police.
   "People here don't respect Haitians," he said.
   The Haitians live in hope of earning enough to pay for a trip to the
United States. They take jobs not wanted by educated Bahamians, such as
gardening, cleaning hotels and homes and laboring in construction.
   The Bahamas repatriated more than 3,000 Haitian migrants last year, at a
cost of over $1 million, but despite the growing public complaints the
government has no plans to deport large numbers.
   "It's a failed policy because it has not stemmed the tide," Foreign
Affairs Minister Fred Mitchell said of deportations.
   He said officials are exploring new ways to tackle the problem, such as
granting guest worker visas and forging closer ties with the Haitian
government.
   Most people concede Haitian migrants will keep coming as long as Haiti's
problems persist.
   "There is a lot of misery," said Louis Joseph, Haiti's ambassador to the
Bahamas. "When people are suffering, they'll leave any way they can."
   In a Nassau detention center, Pierre Joseph sits in a pink tank top and
orange swim trunks, waiting for word on when he'll be sent home.
   During a five-day, 100-mile journey, he and seven other men endured a
storm that nearly tore apart their homemade sloop. When a Bahamian Defense
Force boat stopped them near shore, all were limp from dehydration, heat
exhaustion and seasickness.
   "I wasn't afraid to die because I knew I had to leave," said Joseph, a
27-year-old potato farmer. "There's no hope in Haiti."
   ------
   On the Net:
   National Coalition for Haitian Rights:
http://www.nchr.org/rmp/caribpro.htm
   Caribbean Labor Market Guide report on migration:
http://www.caribbeing.com/Caribbean/Migration/eclac-g0540.htm