15510: This Week in Haiti 21:08 5/8/03 (fwd)

"This Week in Haiti" is the English section of HAITI PROGRES
newsweekly. For the complete edition with other news in French
and Creole, please contact the paper at (tel) 718-434-8100,
(fax) 718-434-5551 or e-mail at <editor@haitiprogres.com>.
Also visit our website at <www.haitiprogres.com>.

                           HAITI PROGRES
              "Le journal qui offre une alternative"

                      * THIS WEEK IN HAITI *

                      May 8 - 14, 2003
                         Vol. 21, No. 8

ARISTIDE ASKS OPPOSITION TO HEED MASSES' "CRY" FOR A "TRUCE"

As Haiti approaches its first major celebration of its 1804 bicentennial,
the anniversary of the May 18, 1803 creation of the Haitian flag, President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide called on the Haitian opposition to join in a
political "truce in the name of the flag, under the flag, to facilitate the
political unblocking which will facilitate the economic unblocking" of the
country.

Aristide made the call in a rally on May 1 - International Workers Day -
during the inauguration of newly constructed housing units in the
Port-au-Prince slum of La Saline, where he once preached liberation theology
as a Salesian priest at St. Jean Bosco church.

"Before we reach May 18th, I ask all my brothers and sisters in the
opposition, especially in the Democratic Convergence, to look at the misery
of La Saline, of Cité Soleil, of Raboteau, of Solino," Aristide said,
referring to Haiti's poorest shantytowns. "In the name of our brothers and
sisters who want to fight this misery, I ask for them for a truce... Listen
to the cry of Haiti's poor." The Democratic Convergence is a
Washington-supported front of 14 tiny right-wing and social democratic
parties.

Aristide's call came after a special meeting of the Permanent Council of the
Organization of American States (OAS) on Apr. 30 heaped equal measures of
blame on the Haitian government and the opposition for Haiti's three-year
political deadlock, which ironically was instigated by OAS meddling in Haiti
's May 2000 legislative elections. The Convergence was sorely disappointed
by the even-handedness of the OAS, which usually follows Washington's lead
of aiming its reproach at the government and Aristide's Fanmi Lavalas party
(FL).

As in the past, the Convergence spurned Aristide's appeal. "One should not
bestow any importance to this new call of Jean-Bertrand Aristide," responded
Paul Denis of the Struggling People's Organization (OPL), a Convergence
component. "He does this every time he feels trapped. He is merely throwing
powder in people's eyes to continue his dilatory political tactics."

Another Convergence leader, Evans Paul, denied Aristide's assertions that
negotiations between the government and opposition have already been
initiated to arrive at a political accord before May 18. "I do not speak in
the name of the entire opposition," Paul said, "but, personally, I am not
aware of this question." He then added: "I have not consulted my colleagues
of the Convergence on an idea that seems logical to me. For there to be
peace so we can celebrate the flag, there would have to be a discussion so
neither the Lavalas nor the opposition would be in power ." A rumor has
circulated this week that Aristide has offered the opposition to name the
Prime Minister, a post now occupied by former FL senator and spokesman Yvon
Neptune.

 The OPL's secretary general Gérard Pierre-Charles was more hardline in his
remarks, saying that no political accord was possible until the government
puts an end to impunity, liberates those he called "political prisoners,"
and stops searches of opposition partisans (despite simultaneous calls for a
crackdown on unlicensed arms). "If the government sends such signals, we
will follow that lead and find a consensus to put an end to the crisis,"
Pierre-Charles said.

In his May 1 speech, Aristide renewed his call for France to "restitute" the
indemnity of 150 million gold francs which Haiti paid the former colonial
power after winning its independence in 1804. The Haitian government
calculates that France owes it about $21.7 billion. The French Foreign
Minister has scoffed at the request, accusing the Haitian government of
"poor administration."

Aristide thanked the "peaceful mobilization with dignity by Haitians
everywhere aimed at making the $21 billion return to the country." He
offered his "thanks in advance" to the law firm "already hired and paid" to
work on legal avenues to demand the restitution and reparations.

"No matter what, they are going to have to give us back that money," said
Sonia Derosier Nosan, a young girl from La Saline whom Aristide invited onto
the stage for one of his trademark "dialogues." "It is a debt they owe us.
We will mobilize until we get it."

All articles copyrighted Haïti Progrès, Inc. REPRINTS ENCOURAGED.
Please credit Haïti Progrès.

                               -30-