15531: radtimes: Naples' newest Haitian radio station hopes to entertain, educate listeners (fwd)

From: radtimes <resist@best.com>

http://www.naplesnews.com/03/05/business/d932704a.htm

Naples' newest Haitian radio station hopes to entertain, educate listeners

Friday, May 9, 2003

By ELIZABETH WENDT, ehwendt@naplesnews.com

When Josue Alusma talks about the musical format of Radio New Star, Naples'
newest Haitian radio station, he rattles off a list of sounds and shows.

There's hip-hop and reggae. There's local and international news,
especially headlines from Haiti. On Sundays, there's religious programming,
and on Saturdays, the station gives its listeners a taste of Latin pop.

But the term Alusma returns to most to describe the new station is
"educational."

Josue Alusma, president of Naples' newest Haitian radio station, Radio New
Star, delivers a news report earlier this week in his studio off Linwood
Avenue in East Naples. Dan Wagner/StaffHe wants Radio New Star to make more
than a musical impact on the Southwest Florida Haitian community.

"Naples is a good place for education, for family," Alusma, 31, said. "And
we really want to make it safer. That's why we push the educational part."

Naples' second Haitian radio station went on the air Feb. 1, with Alusma as
its president and co-creator. He gave up his career as a Naples engineer
for the station, pouring $12,000 of his own money into the equipment that
fills the small, windowless room in an East Naples office building.

His partner, Golden Gate obstetrician Dr. Ferio Francois, matched Alusma's
financial sum to purchase more equipment, including the subcarrier
generator needed for the station to broadcast, Alusma said.

As a subcarrier station, Radio New Star's listeners must have a receiver to
hear the programming. The Federal Communications Commission defines a
subcarrier station as a channel transmitted along with a main audio signal
over a broadcast station; Radio New Star can be heard by receiver, night
and day, on 88.7 Way FM, a Southwest Florida Christian station.

Most receivers retail between $35 and $70, Alusma said, and he is happy to
help listeners install theirs. To find out more, call Alusma at (239) 289-6099.

The station can also be heard online by visiting www.shoutcast.com and
entering "Radio New Star" in the search field.

About three months into its operations, Alusma thinks Radio New Star is
reaching listeners throughout Southwest Florida. The 15 advertisers on the
station include local doctors, lawyers and retail stores, he said.

The station has a staff of 10, including disc jockey Jean-Arthur Boyer.

When not in the studio giving the international and local news, or when not
gabbing with callers to the station - casually switching his speech from
English to Creole and French - Boyer works for the state Department of
Juvenile Justice in Naples.

He is also finishing up his bachelor degree in criminal justice at
International College. He manages to squeeze in time for Radio New Star,
though.

"It's just like school to me," Boyer, 32, said. "It keeps me up to date. I
feel like I learn more than I am giving to the audience. It keeps me alive."

In addition to giving the news and spinning songs, Boyer hosts a show
focusing on legal issues. While he emphasized he doesn't give legal advice,
Boyer said he does try to give Haitian newcomers a clearer sense of local laws.

"We try to do everything possible for our community to know the law,"
Alusma added.

When someone arrives from Haiti, Boyer said, they have more than a language
barrier to overcome. They have a cultural barrier to surmount, too. Simply
existing within the borders of a country is no way to be a part of it,
Boyer said. That's one of the reasons he switches back and forth between
Creole or French and English.

"They're not just living in the United States," Boyer said. "We make them
feel like they belong in the United States. We are pushing them to learn."

Boyer and Alusma agree that the needs - and the nature - of Southwest
Florida's Haitian community are changing. Both men moved to the Naples area
from Haiti more than 10 years ago. Since then, they have adopted more than
a country; they have tried to take on an understanding of its customs and
culture, too.

Beyond sharing entertainment, Alusma and Boyer said they want to share
experience.

"We know their needs because we are part of the population," Boyer said.

Naples' first Haitian radio station, a subcarrier station which can be
heard on 89.5 Praise FM, went on the air in September 2002. Alusma said he
doesn't see that station as competition, but as an opportunity for his
station to do something else to reach the Haitian community.

With Radio New Star, he is aiming for increased awareness in the Haitian
community.

"We want to make sure we help the community with everything that's
possible," Alusma said.

Simone Milce of Fort Myers said she is tuning in to the new station. She
moved to the area almost two decades ago and remembers when there was
nothing for Haitians in Southwest Florida seeking news or entertainment.

"A long time ago, we had no information," Milce said. "I think this is a
blessing from God."