15606: Blanchet: Fw: [haitian-advocacy] As resources dwindle, search for clean water is costly daily...Miami Herald (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <MaxBlanchet@worldnet.att.net>

From: <brutuslaw@aol.com>

> Dear Ms. Karshan:
>
> Being a member of the Florida Legislative's Natural Resources and Water
committees, the issue of water conservation and preservation rings
particularly close to home for me. The State Legislature has a plethora of
laws that regulate the use of its water bodies, streams, ponds, rivers, etc.
In addition, a series of local water mnanagement districts around the State
stand watch against unscrupulous or negligent water operators.

> Every time I visit Haiti, I cannot help but wonder whether anyone in the
Government is serious about the issue. For starters, on a street near the
old Police Station at Cazeau, not far from Tabarre, an unknown entity has
installed a high powered pump that extracts millions of gallons of water
that is sold to a caravan of water trucks every single day. The result is
obvious; local access to that water is practically wiped out. In the
process, hundreds of gallons of water simply gushes out of the pump onto the
surrounding street all day.The waste simply shocks te conscience. I always
wonder whether the responsible government agency has done anything about it
or even counseled the operators about water preservation.

> It would seem to me that a first step would be to identify all viable
bodies of water and create local water management districts similar to
Florida's, to regulate water use and consumption. In addition, private
operators throughout the country should be regulated and given a set of
standards to be followed when they extract water for resale lest we continue
tolling the alarm bells while we do nothing about it. Then, a national
dialogue developped in a series of seminars throughout the country, could
provide the blue print for meaningful solutions. Until we do that, we are
all wasting time.

www.hagcoalition.freehosting.net