15616: Thylefors: Re: Vodou's official recognition; any news? (fwd)

From: Markel Thylefors <markel.thylefors@sant.gu.se>

Does anyone have some news about what has followed in the path of the
official recognition of Vodou? Are there any oungan applying for the
official license so far?
What about manbo? I suppose manbo as well can apply for the license and
conduct marriages etc. Are there, by the way, any Christian women priests
in Haiti who perform officially recognized priestly duties? Perhaps this
gender issue will lead to some turbulence.
I read in a Swedish (!) paper  that a couple had married before a licensed
Vodou priest and that  this had evoked a storm of protests from "only
Christians" and that Nouvelliste received loads of letters complaining
about the marriage.
Friendly,
Markel