15655: Schweissing: "We Have no hope!" (fwd)

From: Daniel Schweissing <dan_schweissing@hotmail.com>

http://www.thenassauguardian.com

'We have no hope!'

Haitians tell of risking lives for 'better life' in BahamasBy KHASHAN
POITIERGuardian Staff Reporter "The situation there is so bad that we can't
find anything to do to support ourselves or feed our families.

That's why we leave Haiti," said Diueseul Luxame, one of 368 Haitian
detainees at the Detention Centre on Carmichael Road.

The Centre, built to hold 700 people, was occupied by as many as 900
immigrants last week.

Presently 421 persons await deportation, with 165 expected to be repatriated
on two Bahamasair flights at 8 a.m. today. But many of those deported will
attempt to return to The Bahamas in several weeks, according to Department
of Immigration statistical trends.

The Guardian observed most of the immigrants clad in dusty short or
sleeveless shirts, long trousers and open-toe slippers.

Reluctant at first, they gave reasons why they should not be forced to
return to their homelands.

Diueseul Luxame said there are very limited job opportunities in Haiti, but
he will not attempt to migrate to The Bahamas again.

Speaking through an interpreter, Mr. Luxame said that in Haiti, "There is a
government, but it is like there is no government. There is nothing to do.
There are no jobs. Many times we are forced to risk our lives just to find
jobs or something to make a living. We have no hope, that's why we can get
on boats to come here. We are trying to support our families."

He was captured Wednesday by Royal Bahamas Defence Force officers and has
since been detained at the Detention Centre.

Mr. Luxame said he left a wife and four children in Port-de-Paix, Haiti,
like many others, in search of a "better life."

"My family has nothing," he said. "If Haitians can't find any jobs, they
will come to The Bahamas and United States to try find something, find some
job to do and take care of their families and stay alive. In Haiti, we can
hardly eat and survive."

Another Haitian detainee, Sidene Calix, was among 600 illegals apprehended
in three separate seizures Wednesday by Defence Force officers near the
Exuma Cays.

Mr. Calix said he paid 400 Haitian gourdes (US$15) to join 350 other
Haitians in a crammed sloop, made more daunting by the lack of water to
drink and little food.

"Many people paid to come here," he said. "Everyone just tried to get his or
her space on the boat. It was long, hot and wet, but we didn't care we just
wanted to leave Haiti."

He said that it was his first migration attempt, and his objective was to
remain in The Bahamas and later earn enough money to travel to the United
States.

Asked whether he would attempt to attempt to travel to The Bahamas again,
Mr. Calix quickly replied, "No."

"The treatment we get is bad, bad treatment," he complained. "The food not
good. Sometimes, the officers beat us. The conditions are very bad."

Other detainees complained of flies in their food and lack of water at the
Centre. The Guardian observed Social Services workers distributing tuna
sandwiches to them.

Superintendent Vincent Albury, Immigration officer-in-charge of the
Detention Centre, said the detainees are served three meals per day.

He gave The Guardian copies of a menu, which included corned beef and rice,
a choice between barbecue and steamed turkey with peas and rice, and mixed
vegetables and chicken souse.

"These immigrants get the best treatment, and for most it's a better
living," said Supt. Albury. "Everyday they eat something different."

Families of the detainees, many of whom claimed to be of Bahamian
citizenship, either through birth or marriage, are allowed visits on
Tuesdays and Fridays between 1 and 3 p.m.

Some of the detainees claimed that they were born in The Bahamas or married
Bahamian women, but were denied re-entry into the country after visiting
relatives in their homeland.

Documents proving their claims were stolen, they said.

One man, who appeared to be Jamaican, shouted: "I am a Bahamian, I am a
Bahamian."

Haitian national Sadette Elga said her parents, who now live in Haiti,
brought her to The Bahamas in 1996. Following a recent visit to Haiti, she
said, she was denied re-entry to The Bahamas.

Subsequently, she said, she paid a boat captain 1,000 gourdes (US$37) to
smuggle her into the country, only to be faced with deportation.

Supt. Albury said that in many instances, Haitian residents are detained on
criminal charges and "screened" for proof of citizenship.

The Detention Centre's head count presently includes: 368 Haitians, nine
Jamaicans, 27 Cubans, three Nigerians, one Ghanaian, three Dominicans, two
Chinese nationals and one citizen of Cape Verde.

POSTED THUESDAY, MAY 20, 2003