15700: (Hermantin) Miami Herald-Haitian art, flags grace Miramar City Hall (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Sun, May. 25, 2003

Haitian art, flags grace Miramar City Hall
BY EILEEN SOLER
Special to The Herald

Miramar's City Hall lobby was transformed Wednesday from a drab brown
walkway to a classy Haitian art gallery where waiters served Haitian hors
d'oeuvres and Haitian classical music and jazz filled the room.

''Tonight is about embracing the Haitian culture. We are happy to be here,
and we welcome all people to enjoy our culture,'' said artist Sophia
Lacroix, who lives in Miami-Dade County just south of Miramar.

The evening, organized by Haitian-American Linda César of Miramar,
commemorated Haiti's 200th Flag Day. The flag, presented to the people of
Haiti by slaves on May 18, 1803, preceded the country's independence in
January 1804.

César said city is living up to its motto -- ''We're at the Center of
Everything'' -- by recognizing the Haitian holiday.

''It's wonderful for Miramar to celebrate the different holidays of
different people,'' César said. ``I would like to see the city celebrate
everything that is central to the people of the city, all the people. The
food, the art . . . it is all very important.''

About 50 people came out to view vivid, realistic paintings by Lacroix,
brilliant landscapes and still-lifes by Elfriede Lespinasse, and sculptures
by Jean Volcy. Guests mingled while nibbling on spicy griot (fried pork),
poulet (chicken) and hareng (herring).

Later in the evening, during a City Commission meeting, Miramar Mayor Lori
Moseley declared May the Month of Haiti. She presented the proclamation to
North Miami Councilman Jacque Despinosse; Myrto C. Valcin of Club Entente at
St. Bartholomew Catholic Church; state Rep. Phillip Brutus of District 108
in Miami; and Herntz Pharnord of Haiti Antennes Plus.

Miramar resident Mary Linda Merceron Simeon, there with her husband, Fritz
Simeon, said she chose to attend her hometown celebration over others in Key
Biscayne, Fort Lauderdale, and Hollywood.

''Our forefathers worked very hard to bring independence to Haiti. This a
good thing for us to celebrate,'' Simeon said. ``It is a good night in
Miramar.''