15813: Ventres: Re: 15806: Pichard in response to #15800, French to be taught in Pam Beach County (fwd)

From: Sarah S Ventres <sventres@juno.com>

I will not be surprised to learn that Haitian parents and community
members WERE asked about their language preferences for the Palm Beach
County immersion program.  It seems to me that the choice was made with
extreme sensitivity.  Of course, these children must learn English, but
as far as a bi-lingual immersion program goes, what other language would
have been more appropriate than French?  Spanish?  German?  Italian?

Regardless of the historic antecedents, all Haitians know that the
Haitian elite, whether in Haiti or in the U.S., speak French.  Who can
blame those who speak only Creole for aspiring to climb this rung of
their ladder?

Sally Ventres
sventres@juno.com