15812: Benodin: Colin Powell On Haiti (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

Colin Powell On Haiti

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2003/21330.htm

The people of Haiti have waited a long time -- too long - for their leaders
to meet their obligations under OAS Resolutions 806 and 822. Haiti's
democracy and economic growth are undermined by the government's failure to
create the conditions for an electoral solution to the political impasse.
Led by the efforts of OAS Assistant Secretary General Einaudi and the OAS
Special Mission, the international community has provided substantial
support for strengthening Haiti’s institutional capacity and civil society.
As a further sign of the commitment of the United States to this effort, I
am pleased to announce that the United States will provide an additional $1
million to the OAS Special Mission to help improve the security climate for
what we hope will be free and fair elections in Haiti. In addition, the
United States has increased our humanitarian assistance to $70 million in
the current fiscal year. However, if by this September the government of
Haiti has not created the climate of security essential to the formation of
a credible, neutral and independent provisional electoral council, we should
reevaluate the role of the OAS in Haiti.