15835: Deschamps: Re: 15682: A reply to Anonymous concerning Deschamps' publishing

From: "Henri Deschamps (IMH)" <henri-deschamps@intermediahaiti.com>

Anonymous wrote:

Witness the "subsidized" school book deal that Deschamps has been getting
for the past two years. Deschamps hoodwinked the government into believing
that it printed all the books that the contract required in exchange for
the 90+ million gourdes he received. Not only did the company not print the
amount of books that were ordered, but a sizable percentage of the books
were sold at regular market prices by Deschamps thereby augmenting his
gains and shortchanging the families that were supposed to benefit from the
subsidy. Did the government react or do anything? No. Instead, Deschamps
was rewarded with yet another contract. Setting aside the pedagogical flaws
of the deal, that the government would allow its meager resources to be
squandered by Deschamps in such a dishonest way is a crime.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dear Bob,

Was advised of this message by a friend recently. In a phrase it is nothing
more than "a pile of manure" with no basis in fact whatsoever and so far
from the truth of our business affairs and dealings that I am pretty much at
a loss as to what respond. It is somewhat disgraceful to see someone hiding
behind the cover of anonymity tearing down honest and legitimate folks
because of whatever boogieman legends inhabit their spirits. But then again
I guess that is the nature of things. I think you might find a consensus
around here and with those who know and work with us that we are certainly
among the most serious outfits in our village. I don't know if anyone can
believe it, but there actually are some honest folks here trying to do an
honest day's work for an honest day's pay. People who feel no need to rip
anybody off. As Gomer Pile used to say "surprise, surprise". I would take
the time to formulate a detailed response with all the audited, computerized
and notarized reports we work with to manage that program, in short what it
takes to demonstrate your friends ignorance to the penny or his IQ whichever
is lowest but quite frankly I expect people will believe what they want to
believe regardless of the facts, am beyond busy trying to accomplish
meaningful things and cannot manage to take a day or two off to respond to
groundless imaginings. I think the proof is in the pudding, ask around, ask
people who actually know something about that program, our business, its
people and culture and see if what is expressed above makes a damn bit of
common sense. In short it is 100% false, has no basis in fact whatsoever.
Beyond that, contrary to popular myth business in Haiti depends a great deal
on people's credibility and reputations and I believe ours would make any
top ten list. People in politics expect to be slandered, private citizens do
not. As far as I know, none of our tribe is a public figure, a star or
running for office.

Best Regards,

Henri Deschamps