15872: Morse to Geneviev: Occupation (fwd)

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

The Hans Schmidt book (The United States Occupation Of Haiti) is about the first occupation and doesn't go into how much the United States has spent of trying to help establish democracy in Haiti, but it does go into a bit of detail on debt transfers etc. of the early 20th Century. The book  delves a bit into the social and cultural problems faced by the two nations, as well some of the events that led to the intervention. Schmidt also shows that Haiti is part of a region and outside influences such as the building of the Panama Canal and an expanding German presence in the Carribean affected policy towards Haiti. I think its a fairly objective analysis though I may not be an objective judge.
Richard Morse