15947: Hermantin reponds to Racine (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Inasmuch as I found your account of issues related to domestic violence very
informative, ( it is also a serious problem in Miami among ALL ETHNIC
GROUPS) I was nonetheless very distracted by your repeated attempts to
credit American feminist thinking with efforts by Haitian women in combating
  domestic violence.   My first feminist role model was my grand-mother who
taught me ever since I could remember that  we came from a long line of
independent self-sufficient women who took no stuff  from men.  My
grand-mother coming from a  lakou in Archahaie had no contact with American
feminist thinkers, but was herself influenced by the strong fanm vanyan
inher family and her community who did not and would not allow themselves to
be labeled as powerless victims even by well meaning  albeit  patronizing
American feminist thinkers.

Violence and terror against women in Haiti are not a culture-wide problem,
violence against women is one of these abominations which transcends any
speicific  culture... It's not a Haitian thing. What sets communities apart
are the solutions or the lacktherof  they bring to these problems. In spite
of all efforts propounded by enlightened American feminists, women are still
getting killed  and brutalized by their partners in the United States.