15985: (Hermantin) Palm Beach Post-Haitian council chief defends herself (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Friday, June 20
Haitian council chief defends herself

By Gariot Louima, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 19, 2003

DELRAY BEACH -- Defending herself against allegations that she was involved
in a "nepotistic relationship" with a former employee, Daniella Henry, the
executive director of the Haitian American Community Council, took to the
airwaves Wednesday to rally support from the community she's served for 13
years.

Henry, a guest on the Creole-language radio program Cartes Sur Table (Cards
on the Table) on WHRS-AM 980, compared herself to former President Clinton
and said she was ready to "move up and on" after years of heading one of the
county's most visible Haitian-run organizations.

"I'm not here for eternity," Henry said, alternating between Creole and
English. "It's a burden for me."

Still, Henry said she wants to make sure Sent La -- Creole for "The Center"
-- remained a "landmark" within the the Haitian community.

She said the agency's former deputy director, whom she recently fired, is
spreading rumors and wants "to destroy the center."

"Unfortunate for her, the community now knows how a nonprofit is supposed to
be run," said former director Karlie Richardson, who will appear on the same
show at 3 p.m. today to rebut Henry's on-air statements.

Henry's plea for support comes a day after the Palm Beach County Children
Services Council released a report detailing the effects that an apparent
"nepotistic relationship" had on the Family Empowerment Program, a social
service program designed to aide Haitian families in Lake Worth.

County records show Henry co-owns a house with Gethro Louis-Jean, the former
supervisor of the Haitian council's Empowerment Program, which is paid for
by the children's services council. While she identified herself as
Louis-Jean's wife on a mortgage deed, Henry said she co-signed on a loan
only as a favor to Louis-Jean, who had poor credit.

But the children's services council review said the relationship led to an
internal dispute, resulting in the firing of the program's three staffers.

The children's services council is one of three county agencies reviewing
programs offered by the Haitian council. Other agencies are investigating
whether Henry or the Haitian council improperly charged clients for services
that were supposed to be free.

Radio host Lesly Jaques said he wanted Henry to appear on his show to answer
questions that had been swirling around the community for many months. He
said he'd heard rumors but never took them seriously until Wednesday after
reading the children's services council report in local newspapers.

"Some people were saying she helped them and didn't charge them," Jacques
said shortly after the program concluded. "Some people were saying she
charged them a lot of money, sometimes $900 for asylum. She denies she does
that, but the person insists."

Henry, through Haitian council board member and attorney Willie Jones,
declined to comment when reached Wednesday evening.

On the air earlier, Henry denied that she was anything but a concerned
friend when she helped Louis-Jean buy a house. She maintains former
employees have launched unfounded attacks.

"I'm a leader, that's why I'm being attacked," she said. "Look at Bill
Clinton. He's still strong."

And like Clinton, Henry said, "I have courage. I'm strong."

gariot_louima@pbpost.com