16009: Nlbo: Trying again-intellectuals and media (fwd)

From: Nlbo@aol.com

This idea is not mine. I have been talking with several people who share these concerns.  Yesterday, I met a radio announcer who said bluntly how can he speak with other radio hosts who don't even read the Boston Globe or read anything at all. You send them an announcement. They don?t read it . They either don't  announce at  all or if they do, the info isinnacurate.

  In another conversation, a radio announcer who got fed up with his colleagues left the radio and was talking with me about having an  informative radio program. For instance, in Boston there are three programs that are run free of charge in 3 separate university radios, with a focus on Haiti. These programs are ran by the same people, same group of
  friends since their existence in the last 15 to 25 years. The person's idea was to find an university radio where  a learner, a reader could be the main host, the coordinator, but a group of creative people who want to focus on adapting , integrating and learning about the culture and life in
North America could be a consulting team. Members of this team could intervene once a while, but not fully in charge.  I said I'll bring this idea to Corbett's line for discussion.

  In the diaspora, we are seeing a group of uninformed, untrained radio and TV amateurs who are informing a large majority of the Haitian population.
  The information is focused primarely on the political news of Haiti, not on its culture.  A few programs are culturally and educationally directed.
  I was one in Miami and heard a Radio lekol. There are a few in Boston also, however, the entire focus of the Haitian media in the diaspora is on Haiti, not informing three generations of Haitians on the daily social, political, and cultural life of the United States. As a result, one observes, a permanent stage of  transnationalism. Haitians are not fully integrated in the life of the country they are living in.
  The second generation or those who grew up in the United States or Canada are trying to , but don't have the full support of the first generation whom after several decades their minds are still in Haiti.

  What do Corbetteers think of an idea to have the intellectual community and visionaries play a consultant role in the Haitian media since we can not and don't have the time to be directly involved?

  Nekita