16075: Schweissing: Haitian Pastor & Family drown in Nassau (fwd)

From: Daniel Schweissing <dan_schweissing@hotmail.com>

http://www.thenassauguardian.com

Three drown at Potters Cay

One rescued; dock safety issue raised

By KHASHAN POITIER Guardian Staff Reporter

One person was rescued, but three family members "accidentally drowned"
after their car plunged into waters off Potters Cay Dock Tuesday night.

Dozier Michel, 62, his wife Mercelie Michel, 54, and their nephew Vincent
Michel, 20, perished when the family's white Pontiac Bonneville, went
overboard around 9:45 p.m.

Passersby and officers, who were called to the scene, retrieved the sole
survivor, 21-year-old Kevin Michel, and the bodies from the water.

Kevin, who was said to have sustained a broken rib and bruises, was in a
state of shock when admitted to the Princess Margaret Hospital.

In wake of the incident, relatives, police officers and regular dock
visitors called for the Ministries of Transport and Aviation, and Works to
erect guard railings and install proper lighting in the area.

Idez Laroda, the couple's daughter, on Wednesday said, "I feel something was
there, if there were guard rails at the dock, my parents would be alive
right now. So, something needs to be done right away."

The couple had collected their nephews, Kevin and Vincent, from the
Eleuthera Express mail boat, after which the vehicle, reportedly being
driven in heavy rain, from the northern section of the dock area, went over
the south-west section of the dock.

Police crime scene investigators and other officers were on the scene up
until midnight trying to retrieve the vehicle from the sea floor.

The Michels' son, Rykoh Michel, arrived at the dock minutes after the car
went into the water, to collect his fiancée from the same mail boat.

"The family is still in a state of denial," he said at his home, crowded
with relatives, close friends and fellow co-workers and churchgoers. "We're
just trying to get a grip that it all really happened."

Speaking of his father, who was the pastor of Bethesda United Missionary
Baptist Church, Mr. Michel said, "We know that there's nothing we can do
about it. We know that God gives life and He takes its away. Blessed be the
name of the Lord."

In wake of the incident, Ms Laroda made an appeal to the relevant ministries
- Transport/ Aviation, and Public Works to erect railings and install proper
lighting in the area.

"There is no lighting out there. I feel that if they had proper lights in
that area many lives would be saved," she said. "Even the police officer
that were out said that it is a continuous thing. Something has to be done."

Potters Cay Police Superintendent Burkie Wright said officers had to wait
for the arrival of a special crane to pull the vehicle from the water.

"We needed a crane with a boom, which is an extension," Supt. Wright said
Wednesday. "A wrecker truck would not be long enough or have enough depth to
pull the car out."

The presence of a strong underwater current may have also been a critical
factor in the group's survival chances, he said. Also, the car's windows may
have been down when it entered the water.

He explained: "Once the car entered the water, the current took it about 25
to 30 feet away from the edge of the dock. There was a flat tide. The sea
level was almost level with the pier, so current was flowing under the
bridge very strongly."

Similar accidents have taken place in the Potters Cay Dock vicinity over the
past several years.

In 1999, a family of four on their way to board a mail boat to Bimini, also
drove their vehicle over Potters Cay dock's edge. It is believed that heavy
showers also prevailed at the time.

With the truck's windows screwed up, the family found themselves trapped
inside. However, passengers on the back of the truck survived.

In 2000, Eunice Williams' car was mysteriously bumped from behind and sank
underwater off the Potters Cay dock.

The area remains without effective safety measures in place.

According to a Port Authority senior official, who requested anonymity,
plans were made to erect railings and additional lighting at the dock later
this month, as a part of a joint initiative by the Authority and the
Ministry of Public Works.

A concern for mail boats loading and off-loading their cargo onto the dock
initially stalled the project, he said.

In an interview with The Guardian in March, Minister of Transport and
Aviation Glenys Hanna-Martin described a proposal to "sensibly and logically
coordinate all the different activities at Potters Cay to address health,
safety and security concerns while still meeting the needs of users."

Man accosted, shot

Following a shooting in Florida Court at 12:45 a.m. Wednesday, Exuma Street
resident Markeson Mitchell is recovering from a gunshot wound to the right
thigh.

According to Mr. Mitchell, while walking through the area with a group, a
male dressed in camouflage clothing approached him. When the unidentified
male produced a handgun, there was a struggle between the two, resulting in
Mr. Mitchell being shot.

He was admitted to the Princess Margaret Hospital, with his condition
described as "non life- threatening."

Caption:TRAGEDY — Dozier Michel, his wife Mercelie Michel, and their nephew
Vincent Michel, (inset), perished when the family's white Pontiac
Bonneville, went overboard at Potter's Cay.

Posted Thursday 3rd July, 2003