16077: (Craig) What's to celebrate? (fwd)

From: Dan Craig <hoosier@att.net>

This morning I mentioned to a Haitian friend that I look forward to
possibly being in Haiti for the upcoming bicentennial, and she
responded, in part:

> What's there to celebrate, that's the million dollar question. Having
> failed our ancestors, having failed to build a nation worthy of their
> accomplishments?  Please!!!  Haitians will celebrate they will go
> dance and get drunk, when this should be a time of introspection [and]
> of national atonement.

Cynical by nature, I recalled the US bicentennial celebration 27 years
ago today and tried to draw from my own sense of patriotism as I
responded both intellectually and philosophically.  Recognizing my own
limitations, I know I left a lot out.  So I ask you to help me answer
her and others asking the same question from various perspectives.