16097: (Arthur) Haitian Ambasador at home in Jamaica (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

published: Wednesday | July 9, 2003

By Nashauna Drummond, Staff Reporter, The Jamaica Gleaner

WITH A very warm welcoming smile, Haitian Ambassador to Jamaica, Jean-Gabriel
Augustin, met me at the door. Behind him I caught glimpses of a very large
room; one end hosts two sofas draped in his country's national colours, the
other a large desk with a filling cabinet in one corner and a photo of Haitian
President, Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

As I sat I noticed the books on his desk. There were a copy of the
Governor-General's autobiography, They call me Teacher; A Jamaican Voice In Caribbean
And World Politics, a collection of selected speeches delivered by Prime
Minister of Jamaica P.J. Patterson, that was edited by current Minister of State in
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Delano Franklyn; The
Caribbean Community (CARICOM) 1973-2003 Reinventing CARICOM: The Road to a New
Integration, by Principal of the University of the West Indies Mona, Kenneth Hall,
and Shalom 2004 by the Haitian President. An avid reader, Ambassador Augustin
explains that he reads everything and is currently in the process of reading
all the literature on his desk.

On December 18, 2001, Jean-Gabriel Augustin officially embarked on his duties
as the Haitian Ambassador to Jamaica after a 10-year stint in Miami as
consular general. On his arrival, he was immediately at home; "Here in Jamaica I
feel like a fish in water. We (Haitian and Jamaicans) look so much alike and the
beautiful environment, it reminds me of my country." He noted that his
homesickness is compensated for by the beauty of the country and the kindness of the
people.

An attorney-at-law by profession, Ambassador Augustin was also a teacher for
over 10 years. "I'm very happy with what I'm doing which is an extension of
what I was doing before; representing and serving my country."

When the Ambassador does get time to 'relax', he can be found with friends at
Jazz festivals, or travelling across the island "to be in nature". Speaking
of Jazz, he is an ardent music lover.

MEDITATING

"I love music. I will spend an entire Sunday starting in the morning playing
classical, 12 o'clock I switch to Jazz and Blues and in the afternoon calypso
or reggae or copa music." But sometimes he just relaxes by meditating. He
says, "loneliness can be joyful."

Once a 'baller', he played for his high school and the Faculty of Law during
his university years. However, for the past four years he has abstained from
such activities along with lawn tennis due to a knee injury.

MAN FOR THE JOB

Ambassador Augustin entered the diplomatic services in 1991 when the Prime
Minster needed someone to bring the Haitian communities together and he was the
man for the job. He speaks French, Creole, English and is familiar with
Spanish.

He is also very competent in the kitchen. His favourite dish that he likes to
prepare is rice and beans with fry chicken and a mix of vegetables to go with
it.

He sums up his time in Jamaica so far in one word "lovely".

This email is forwarded as a service of the Haiti Support Group.

See the Haiti Support Group web site:
www.haitisupport.gn.apc.org

The Haiti Support Group - solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for
justice, participatory democracy and equitable development, since 1992.