16188: Laleau: Haitian Flag

From: NLaleau@aol.com

A Haitian friend visiting me in Washington once asked why I "used a
Haitian
flag as a curtain" on my bedroom door--it wasn't a curtain but the doorway
was
a good place for it. Americans seeing the proud marchands' derrieres
wrapped in
American flags might also have thought it disrespectful, but there was no
such
intention, contrary to 60's US youth, who sewed small American flags
upside
down on their breeches as an anti-war protest. In a student project in
Colombia
I was surprised to see students wearing US flags on their jackets and
pants--right-side up--as a sign of their identity with US youth ... they
kind
of missed the point of "upside down" meaning "The country is in trouble."
heard they smoked pot in US-flag Zig-Zag papers... nlaleau