16225: Saint-Vil Re: 16219: NCHR should focus on its own mandate(fwd)

From: Jean Saint-Vil <jafrikayiti@hotmail.com>

A list member wrote:

'If the NCHR wants to defend Haitian Rights and remain relevant in our
struggle for democracy, tell the truth, give some clear direction, put the
responsibilty where it belongs,with the inept institution we call the
Haitian Government.'

How about, if NCHR want to be relevant, its should try to focus on its
official mandate: i.e. 'defending Haitian Rights'. Rights, which by the way,
include that of self-government.

For my part, I don't think it is NCHR's job to 'give direction', 'assign
responsibility' to anyone or anything in Haiti, anymore than they do in the
U.S. or anywhere else. I would expect such an organization by its very name
to be concerned with the plight of Haitian paesants being deposessed of
their land in Maribahoux (where the culprits include government officials
and powerful  businessmen of Haiti, the U.S and the Dominican Republic all
at once), as well as in overcrowded Haitian prisons, in the outrageous
bateys of the Dominican Republic, on death row in the U.S. Industrial Prison
Complex (see Phillistin Borgela's case) etc... but it does appear that I am
confusing what should have been with what is.

Perhaps one should ask those in charge of NCHR these days why the perception
lingers that this organization is less about defending Haitian rights
(everywhere and anywhere) than it is about playing a rather confusing role
in the current muddy Haitian political landscape.

If the lack of 'granmouness' and mental independance displayed by today's
Haitian policos (from left to right) offer opportunities to many
foreign-controlled organizations to play the dirty games of neo-colonial
politics in Haiti, this does not in itself forego the Haitian people's
sovereign rights.

In the final analysis, until Haitians create real Haitian-made, Haitian-led
and Haitian-controlled institutions to take care of our business, we will
continue to cry foul while others continue to do their do, in their interest
but in our name - of course.

Li lè li tan pou 'Ayisyen klas Afranchi an' asime dwa granmoun li tou !

Jafrikayiti
«Depi nan Ginen bon nèg ap ede nèg!»
http://www.i-port.net/sd-in-j/