16274: Karshan: First Step Towards Victory: IDB Loans Released! (LET HAITI LIVE campaign) (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

>From the Let Haiti Live campaign:

 First Step Towards Victory: IDB Loans Released!
  Small Step Should Set the Stage for a Major Change in Policy Towards
                                  Haiti

As you may already know, we have won a major breakthrough, with the
Inter-American Development Bank's July 24th announcement that it will
start releasing nearly $200 million in loans held up by the political
maneuvering of the U.S. government. The U.S. policy of withholding
humanitarian aid from the Haitian government has influenced loans from
the IDB, as well as bilateral funding from the European Union and
others.

$35 million has been disbursed from an IDB investment sector loan and
will be used to pay back the Haitian national treasury, which was
depleted by 90% to make an arrears payment and release the IDB funding.
Another $15 million is expected from the investment loan, as well as $54
million for water and sanitation, $50 million for rural road
rehabilitation, $25 million for reorganization of the health sector and
$19.4 million for education. Loan agreements were signed on July 25th,
and the funds should begin disbursement soon.

This victory is good news, especially for the tens of thousands of
Haitians who will benefit from the new government projects for clean
water, health care and education.

 The Unfrozen Loans Are Only the Tip of the Iceberg, the Struggle to Let
                          Haiti Live Continues

$200 million may be a lot of money, except when one places it into the
reality of Haiti's urgent, life-and-death needs.  The United States and
the European Union continue to insist on withholding humanitarian aid,
conditioning any bilateral assistance on an agreement between the
Haitian government and the Democratic Convergence, the U.S.-supported
opposition coalition. The World Bank, despite the IDB progress, and
despite Haiti's compliance with an International Monetary Fund (IMF)
Staff Monitoring Program, has not resumed lending or re-opened
operations in Haiti.

We remain hopeful the IDB loans will be disbursed, but in the past a
successful (and politically-motivated) U.S. intervention has halted
disbursement. We must keep alert about the progress of these loans. Many
at the IDB have felt pressure about Haiti's humanitarian disaster and
have promised to give Haiti the opportunity to access another $300
million that Haiti would have been eligible for in the current lending
cycle. We must hold the IDB to this promise.

                         These Gains Can Be Lost

The U.S. has threatened to veto all development assistance, including
IDB loans, after October 1, on the grounds that Haiti does not do enough
to combat trafficking in persons.  The U.S. has also sought Haiti's
suspension from the OAS because of the political crisis.  Two hundred
years of Haitian history teach us that the fight against injustice must
not stop.

Haiti still has a long way to go in its journey from misery to poverty
with dignity.  The daily material needs of most Haitians, especially
children, are not met.  Haiti's economic and social problems are complex
and deeply rooted.  Only long-term, consistent support for Haiti's
democracy and economy will bring sustainable improvement to the lives of
Haiti's poor.

We should celebrate; we earned it.
This victory was the result of a massive and persistent collaboration:
members of the U.S. Congress, the Haitian Government, a host of NGOs –
religious, solidarity, health care, human rights, development – and
dozens of committed individuals ensured that the embargo's injustice
remained on the radar screen week in and week out, for over a year.  The
grassroots pressure and information generated by the Let Haiti Live
Campaign was an integral part of every facet of the collaboration.  All
of us should be proud of what we accomplished, and the way we
accomplished it.

                     Time for a Major Policy Change!

The efforts we have made to secure the release of the IDB loans show us
that now is the time to build on this success.  We have momentum, and
this victory shows the world that our cause is just.  We have taken a
strong first step, now we need to show U.S. policymakers that we will
not stand for humanitarian aid being linked to politics. Furthermore, we
do not support the U.S. intervention in Haiti's democratic process.

www.haitireborn.org/campaigns, or email melinda@haitireborn.org.

                             LET HAITI LIVE!