16275: Kathleen: Haiti's Bad Press (fwd)

From: Kathleen <kathleenmb@adelphia.net>

Yesterday, I went to a 40th anniversary party in Lexington Mass (Noam
Chomsky's home town).  When I mentioned Haiti, the reaction was "isn't that
the country that is all slum with machine gun wielding thugs?'  These were
educated professional people, reacting to what most published accounts on
Haiti relate.  No surprise there. I had brought an album of photos of
little advertised towns with poor but beautiful people and little houses in
LaViktwa, Milot, Papaye, Port a Piment.  Much to my surprise, no one
recognized the name or image of Paul Farmer, who has received good
publicity.

Kathleen