16301: anonymous: Re: 16274: Karshan: First Step Towards Victory: IDB Loans Released! (LET HAITI LIVE campaign) (fwd)

This loan release brought up mixed emotions for me.  I read the news report
of the release of this money while in the Dominican Republic, a day after I
left Haiti.  I am glad to know that the money will be monitored, hopefully, as to
prevent the usual suspects from lining their pockets.  Yet, seeing the state
of the country, particularly Port-au-Prince, the nation's capital, I am not
very optimistic as to what the money will accomplish.  But I do know that we
desperately need roads, running water... which were already big problems when I
left Haiti 22 years ago.

It's only been 7 years since I last visited, purposely.  And it has gotten
worse. It is unimaginable that we Haitians at home have allowed Port-au-Prince
to become this dumpster.   Where is the ministry of Urban Planning? What happen
to requiring that people submit their house plans to a bureau of the
government? Yes, at no cost so they willingly come, knowing it is for the good of the
country. There are no sidewalks in Port-au-Prince and its suburbs. This needs
to be regulated. What about creating decent market spaces to allow these men
and women to fetch a living?  Why must they be humiliated lining their goods
along the streets and so untidily.  And it all, people and their merchandises
further choke the capital.
I remember talking to one engineer who told me that P-A-P was built for a
population of 500,000 people and also badly constructed, then.  Now, without the
figures in front of me I can safely assume that this tiny city has quadrupled
its intended population. The fault, no governments, past and present, have
initiated a decentralization plan, helping the other departments to initiate and
create opportunities that would make people want to stay in their own
departments. I see no evidence of any government construction (private yes) but not
anything other than the stalled route of carrefour.  Lastly, I think any smart
government would be in the process of moving its capital.  It is a danm shame
that Port-au-Prince is still the capital.  Perhaps that would begin the
desperately needed decentralization.  Are the leaders of the country thinking?  Do
they have a vision for the country?  It's hard to see.

 I visited the Dominican Republic a few days prior to the opening of the
PanAmerican games.  It was a pleasure to see nice colorful banners announcing the
games and huge posters of their athletes, boosting thier confidence.  Six
months away from January 1, 2004, and still no evidence of the coming celebration
of our country's bicentennial.  I hope the displaying of the flags all over
the capital will awaken or start a sentiment of patriotism/nationalism, which
has been lacking and badly needed. But I would like to see some little banners
all over the country reminding us of our ancestors great accomplishments 200
years ago.  Maybe even some posters of the forefathers and foremothers (heros
and heroines) of the nation around.
Lastly, like many others, I am tired of the infighting among the different
political groups, which only cripple and polarize the country.  Offering nothing
of substance.  These men and women on the political arena do not have
ideological difference.  They will govern the exact same way.  Just wait for your
turn.  Finally, I want to wish good luck to the feminine football team, which I
learned qualified to take part in the PanAm games.

Anonymous