16319: anonymous: helping the poor

Debate is good.  It helps us to clarify our points better at times.  I am
not
saying that giving is bad. I give of what I have and not only to my
family.
But I loathe the notion that my people are beggars and waiting for hand
outs
from the rich countries and their "kind philanthropists" and furthermore
that
the solution to remedying the "dire poverty" that we all are blinded by is
the
hand outs.  Governments that we the people elect have responsibilities.
In the
case of Haiti, instead of filling their pockets and being at each other's
throat, I think they should concentrate on creating work opportunities for
the
people.  In their disregard or not fulfilling and addressing the needs of
the
people, the people are to find ways to get their attention and remind them
why
they have been elected, at all cost.
Yes, I once was one of the kids studying under the lamppost in front of
some
well-to-do family.  What does that have to do with what is being
discussed?
Other than there should be less of us doing that today. Alas!
My point remains that Food for the Poor and many other
organizations/institutions like them, though they may have good intentions
don't help the Haitian condition.  For one, most of their monies go to
their
foreign consultants' salaries and per diem.  Two, they don't create any
concrete things such as a farming tool cooperative or provide small
business
loan where borrowers can set up a business selling local goods.  Dumping
"Kennedy" and "manje sinistre" will not end the "dire poverty".  Something
with
an empowering humanitarian goal can bear more lasting fruits.
Anonymous